Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Childhood Memories of Asheville Vacations

Driving down the Blue Ridge Parkway with my family has always been one of my fondest memoirs of my summer vacations in Asheville. The mountains of western North Carolina have had a special place in my heart ever since my first time to the majestic area.

However, If had to pick the one memory that stands out the most I’d have to say if was the time I went camping with my family at Sam’s Knob. We had been staying in a quite bed and breakfast in a beautiful suburb of Asheville. The place we were staying was an old Victorian style house with a couple smaller cottages on the property and flower gardens everywhere. Normally we would stay at in one place and go out and adventure before we would come back to where ever we were staying. This time however we only stayed for a couple of days. For us kids we were silently wondering if we had done something wrong and we were being punished and had to go back home sooner then our normal vacation. As we all piled into the over loaded mini van with our supplies for every event packed into the hard shelf storage rack we set off. It wasn’t too long until we were on the Parkway and a peaceful calm came over me. As we ascended the gently slop of the mountain side road I realized we weren’t driving north but instead we were heading south. Motoring down the road we drove through the occasional tunnel and by scenic overlooks. At one point we stopped to stretch our legs and check out the view. As I looked into the distance I could see what seemed to be five or maybe six mountain ridges each with little cabins and houses nestled into little flat land areas.

After about 20 minuets of sightseeing we loaded back into the mini van and set off again.
Moments down the road my mom turned around from the passenger seat and told us, “Okay, now the real mountain vacation begins.” Turning back around she chuckled a little and we kids began to look at each other with inquisitive eyes and a bit of excitement.

It was probably about thirty minutes later when we pulled onto a gravel road. We were at our destination. There were a few other cars in what was serving as a parking lot but I didn’t see any people around. We unpacked our gear from the depths of our roof top storage unit. And know I knew why my folks had packed all the camping gear.

We took our camping supplies about five minuets into the woods and made camp. Once we were set up, off into the woods we went. I hiked with my family for a couple hours then we made our way back to the camp site and made dinner over a camp fire. Of course we ate hot dogs and s’mores but it was so awesome to be in the middle of the forest with my family camping and having a fun evening telling each other stories. Soon night was upon us and we settled in for the evening.

It was pretty early we I had my dad rustling around the camp fire area, probably making his morning coffee. I decided to get up and join him even though it much earlier then I would normally be up. As I exited my tent I experienced one the most powerful sights and feelings I had ever experienced at that young age. The sun was just rising above the mountain tops and through the morning drew the whole of the forest seemed to light up with bright rich orangeish sunbeams. I stood at the entrance to my tent with my mouth open and my mind in wonderment breathing in the moment. Finally I broke from my trance and began to walk toward the fire pit. As I walked the sun beams appeared to follow me. I thought I was dreaming until my dad broke the trance, “good morning, isn’t it something else” he said to me. I looked at him and shook my head to agree.

That is one weekend get-away that I will remember for the rest of my life. I loved my childhood vacations in Asheville. Even though I live here now I still love to visit all those magical places my parents used to take me.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Hey there, I came across your blog through google - I love Asheville, and work in the travel industry here, so I really enjoy reading about people's Asheville experiences. That is a great story about your parents' surprise, and I think it's really nice that you feel so fond of your family vacations. I hope you still get to visit Asheville and the Blue Ridge/Smokies frequently! It's still a beautiful area.

Kelly
Carolina Mornings:Discover Asheville
http://carolinamornings.blogspot.com