Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Asheville Green Plumbing--Are they just after your hard earned green?

I've been hearing bad things about Asheville Green Plumbing. I talked to a friend that has a solar system, well, on demand heater, and other environmentally friendly devices. As you can imagine, he has a lot of plumbing needs.

The other day his pressure switch went out on the well and he decided to call Asheville Green Plumbing in order to support Green thinking and businesses. "This was a bad mistake,"he said, "the green they are talking about is the green in your wallet, they are anything but a green company."

What was the problem? "They came in and told me I needed an oddball part and would have to replace it--that involved him driving around his oversized gas guzzling van for an hour and a half. Returning he cut out my valve and replaced it with a new one, then put in a new T for the pressure switch. To my astonishment, he charged me 2hours 45min for labor and $100 for parts. Over $320 for what should have been a simple 1 hour job."

I thought about what he said and asked, "Well if it was an oddball part, maybe that wasn't such a bad deal."

"Riggght," he said, "The next day I drove to Lowe's and found the exact value they replaced for $35.00, for $15.97. Worse, I found a 1/4 plug that could have been inserted in my old valve without replacing it for $0.88. I bought the plug and returned back to my house in my small car in less than 1/2 hour. As I had demanded he give me the old valve, I screwed the 1/4 inch plug into the threaded tap where the old pressure switch used to be and solved the problem for less than a dollar, with a part they should have had on their truck! Calling Asheville Green Plumbers to complain was even more painful, I was informed 'we treat our customers very well.' Thinking back on the call, maybe he really said 'we cheat our customers very well'--that certainly would be more accurate."

I don't have any experience with Asheville Green Plumbing, but if you have had experiences, good or bad with them, please leave a comment!

4 comments:

robiningski said...

Hey, I had a very similar problem. I called to let them know about a filter leak giving them all the information. When he arrived he told me he didn't have that filter and would have to go get it, two hours later and $160 for labor later, he returned and charged me over $400 for a simple filter replacement! I'll never use Asheville Green Plumber again--stay away from them!

Och said...

I know what you mean---they charged me an extra $150 for labor as well. This is certainly not a green organization and seem more concerned with how they can add labor to their bill then helping out a customer. I would never use again!

becky said...

Ouch, I contracted with them a month ago and they did the same thing, added an extra $140 for driving around to find a part!

Diesel Dave said...

They are Blue sky plumbing, aqua pro solutions, Chris and Kelly Hanson own it all with Davey as the license holder, they have gone bankrupt 5 times in 10 years, they are scum, stay away

A2Z plumbing and Blue Planet plumbing and Plumb smart are the only real green plumbers in this town
Asheville!