Thursday, July 31, 2008

Learning the Hot Spots in Asheville by Trolly

Are you new to the town of Asheville, North Carolina? I was once. And for some time I know nothing about the area I lived in. However, I learned of a great way to learn about downtown and it’s cool places to hang out by taking Asheville North Carolina trolly tours.

I had been in town for a few months and I decided it was about high time I learned about the city I lived in. So, I decided to take a sightseeing tour with the local trolly company.

I went to a centralized downtown location to get on the trolly. It was all ready mostly full of people who were from out of town who seemed to be excited about the North Carolina historic trolley tours and what looked like a few people similar to myself who were trying to learn a bit more about their new environment. Naturally I sat next to a couple of people who appeared o be there for the same reason.

As our tour began, the driver began to point out different sites. Most of which had historic significance. The first of which was the S&W Cafeteria, one the the arenas most sticking pieces of architecture from the Art-Deco era. Come to find out Asheville has one of the largest collections of original art-deco building. Continuing down the road we came to Pack Place and the Vance Monument. As an example of stunning architecture, Pack Place failed me. However, it is surrounded by a few other awesome buildings. Pack Place is a museum with some pretty cool displays. Of course, for me my interests lie in the restaurants that were nearby and and cafes and pubs that were right down the street.

Taking a wide turn around the monument, our trolly tour continues as we pulled into Renaissance hotel of Asheville. Here we all got out for a few moments and walked over to the Thomas Wolfe house. Here was another example of Asheville's rich history but for me I was ready to go. I wanted to see more clubs, pubs, cafes, and places to eat.

After about 5 minutes we loaded back onto the trolly and headed down the road. Moments after being seated we were on Lexington avenue. Here is where I experienced the mother load. There are several clubs, restaurants, and cafes on this street. Bobo’s Gallery, Broadways, Emerald lounge, Mela, Bouchon, and so much more. This looked like it was going to be my new favorite part of town.

As we continued on Lexington we passed the beautiful Haywood Park Hotel. The hotel is at a small epi-center of Asheville. With quaint shoppes in every building this was a vacationers dream come true. I'm sure those who were on the trolly vacation tour were getting their monies worth.

Containing our trolly sightseeing tour we traveled to the River Arts District of Asheville. Here there were several artists studios and galleries almost all of which we were able to walk into and talk with the artisan and view and purchase pieces of art. There was quite a wide range of arts to be seen I must say. There were potters, wood worker, metal smiths and much more. My personal favorite where the 12’ metal sculptures that looked like musical instruments that where meant to be sat in.

Finishing up with our event trolly tour I feel I had gain a good understanding of the arts and history of Asheville but it also served me with a greater purpose. I learned where several good places to eat and hangout were. So, I suggests to anyone new to the are to check out any event trolly charter in Asheville, it will be well worth your time.

No comments: